No, I’m not your mom. I’m not going to lecture you about keeping your room neat. But I am going to talk about the value of working hard to keep your premises tidy.
If you’ve had the fire marshal in to inspect your site, you probably noticed that he is looking at a couple of key things – what can burn easily, where is it, how safe is it for your people. That means he is judging what you have lying around. If it’s easily combustible, he’s going to look harder. If it’s spread all over the place, he’s not going to be happy. If you are blocking (or impeding) exits, he will write you up.
The same goes for the inspector from the insurance company. But instead of writing you up, he will rate you up. Your insurance premiums go up. You won’t be happy.
So, here are some quick tips:
- Go out in the back right now (or into the plant or the warehouse) and look around.
- What’s lying on the floor that should or could be stored away properly?
- What could catch fire easily? Is there a better place or way to store it?
- Is anything blocking the exits? Staff need to get out fast and easily when you are evacuating quickly. Firemen need to get in quickly when they are trying to save your business.
- If you have lots of combustibles, do you have the right trash containers? Do you empty them regularly?
Well, maybe I am sounding a bit like Mom. But, as my Mom used to say, “You’ll thank me when you’re older”.